Saturday, July 02, 2005

The tunnel has been found

I was determined to go on this bike ride myself. I wanted to get some time alone. But, as we pulled in front of our cabin, some local friends (drinking buddies of mine) met up with me and asked if I was going 'on the ride'. This tunnel ride has been a topic of conversation before.

So the four of us set off. The others had been there before and two of them had some history to share. Long story made short: The last train to ride on these tracks was in the early 1960's In the early 1970's, the tracks were pulled up and it was made part of the Mid State Trail (MST).

The ride we took was about four miles of near level ground. After all, it was a railroad bed at one time. Here is an image of the only party present that was already 'buzzed'. Mike's hard lemonade does wonders for him. Ok, time for a disclaimer. I may sound like a drunk, or that I hang out with drunks, but this is not the case. You really have to be part of the community where our cabin is to understand.

Anyway, the next image is of an old train station. I am told by the locals that this was the 'watering hole' for this run. The train would stop here for water and other supplies. Obviously, someone has kept this building in good shape over the years. I was informed that the state does not maintain this trail on any frequency and the locals do most of the work.

Finally, the tunnal that I have been searching for.

I have many other images that I took today, but it is getting late. Also, please keep in mind, I only have a 2.0 MP camera and I am not a photographer in any sense of the word.

It felt good to feel happy today. I just may post another image yet tonight. We'll see!

Side information: :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger mattandriver said...

Oops, forgot to add the link to the train station. Here it is.

click here :) I hope the html works in this comment area.

7/02/2005 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home