Friday, July 08, 2005

A Great Night!

Finding good times in life is rare these days, but tonight was one of those night! First let me set the stage.

It's playoff season in baseball. After a long season, tonight was the first of 2 games for us, assuming we won. Our league only plays 3 inning games, due to the age. 4 to 6 year olds have trouble with any game lasting longer than this. So we cream the first inning, wiped them off the field. I think it was 13-3 or something like that. I know, sounds like a football score, but at this age the kids can hit much better then they can field the ball. Or pay attention for that matter.

The second inning was different. They all but tied the score. The other team was the underdog to say the least. Plus the coach has turned into a real.. well... let's just say he is a real 'sweat heart'. But my team just could not field the ball. The only kid on the team really making things happen was at first base. This kid has an older brother in the 'major league' (that is 11 to 14 age group) and wants to be like him in the worst way!!!

So here we are, in the bottom of the 3rd (9th), we are in the field. There are 2 outs. The gap is closing with every moment. A hit to first! But Nathan cannot get the ball in time and the runner makes it to first. Oh then the runner on second base runs for third. Nathan runs across the field and tags him out about 2 feet from the bag.

Weooeoeoeooeeee!!!!!!!!

Some smiles were had tonight! I love this job!

Don't get me wrong, winning is not the primary goal here for me. I have always believed that having fun is more important and I install this into every kid. Praising the good plays and just saying side notes for the bad ones. But, it felt really good tonight! It's good to feel good!!!!

If anyone is interested: Take a look.

3 Comments:

Blogger mattandriver said...

I am going to miss these kids, but another group will be here next year.

7/08/2005 8:59 PM  
Blogger Presley Bennett said...

having fun is good. Having fun AND winning is better (I'm a Red Sox fan...I know whereof I speak).

7/09/2005 10:22 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

You go girl!

7/10/2005 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home