Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hmmmm.... I never thought of that......

Last night I spent about 2 hours at the doctors office. This is a place I do not frequent, by any stretch of the imagination, but I had enough and was looking for some relief. (Don't ever get a cortisone shot in your heel. It brings a new meaning to pain.)

The minute I made it to the waiting room, I searched for some reading material. This brings us to my point. I was reading the July 18th 2005 addition of Newsweek. (as slow as the office is there, I pretty much read it from cover to cover) An article within it's pages caught my eye Bridging The Great Divide, by Christopher Dickey $ Michael Hirish . Taking away all the opinions of why we are, of if we should be in Iraq, this short paragraph has given me a new prospective on the situation. Something I had never thought about, even though it's plainly obvious. "The results of the Bush administration's efforts to deprive terrorists of safe havens and state support have been decidedly mixed. The invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 was a straightforward attack on the people who plotted 9/11 and the Taliban government that sheltered them. But the "pre-emptive" invasion of Iraq in 2003, far from depriving terrorists of a base, created a new training ground for jihadists intent on attacking European and American targets."

This never occurred to me. The fact that our being there, in Iraq, fighting this "war on terror" as it's called, may be giving the terrorist the upper hand by letting them "train" on us. They can learn our military's protocols, how we operate, how we react, what we do and say.... This list seems virtually endless.

This may seem hasty, but let's get our people out of there now! For me, this is the "straw that broke the camel's back". My opinion has not change, rather just moved a little more 'off center'

5 Comments:

Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

"word of the day: I have a life outside this blog sorry i don't pop back fast enough."

take only as seriously as needed. i did respond to you but there is a human in my life that needed me to pay my full attention to her. at times, I will be slow to respond back. i am quite sure you understand. if i am not back with you within 24 hours and i am not on a vacation which is announced on the blog, then after 24 hours please go right up my tubes, cause i will deserve it then.

12/01/2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger Dorman said...

when you have folks changing peoples' minds it is easy to see.

12/01/2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger Dorman said...

the war on terrorism is like the war on drugs, or a war on communism, or the war on war. It is pee in the pool and can't be eliminated because it lives in mens' will. Islam is a major vehicle and factor in all this but resentment created will always spur resistance. In the Cold War, we encouraged this behavior in the States which communism kept captive. The difference is our view of honor.

12/01/2005 1:51 PM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

Hmmm, that never occurred to me either. That's an interesting view on this mess. I'm so glad I'm not in charge. This is the biggest cluster fuck I've seen in a long time!

12/01/2005 6:05 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

D;
I sometimes wonder how closely you will follow Iraq once you depart...

We'll find out over beers!

12/01/2005 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home