Saturday, November 26, 2005

When Santa Comes To Town

On Friday, for the second year in a row, my wife and I put a float (for lack of a better word) in our city's Christmas Parade. Last year was simple. We built a nativity scene on a piece of plywood, and put it on the back of my truck. My daughter and my wife went along with the float handing out flyers advertising the church's Christmas Cantata.

We wanted something better for this year. Our first plan was to borrow the truck and 30 foot trailer from work. We would have kids on the back in some sort of scene. This fell through at the last minute when my boss decided she didn't want to chance the liability if something went wrong. Ok, fair enough, but the timing was very bad!

We ended up with a few kids dressed up in old choir uniforms from when our church had a children's choir. We also went out and bought battery powered candles for them to hold. Our plan was for the 2 or 3 bigger kids to walk in front of the truck, and the little ones to walk with parents, behind the truck. Although this was a simple plan, it also seemed foolproof. How can anything go wrong with this.? (Famous last words...)

We all assembled in front of the Family Dollar Store. This was close to the center of plaza parking area. Last year the parade's leaders were all messed up, moving us from point to point three of four times. I was not going to chance having the same happen again with the kids. Once I signed in and found where we were to be without a doubt, we moved into position. It was very cold, so the kids took turns staying warm in my truck. This was kind of fun for me because I know how much my daughter hates to have her picture taken. "Look here hun....". I should have known that she was going to be the first one to drop her candle and break the bulb, cutting her fingers in the process.

Finally we started out, and only 15 minutes late this year. Well, we weren't even out of the parking lot until we found out the kids walking behind the truck was just not going to work out. So we stop and redesign quickly. Next thing I know, we now have 7 little choir kids, and 2 candy throwers in my little Toyota. Sometimes you just have to be happy with what works and not expect too much.

As we slowly make our way down Fourth Street going south, all seems good. Next, six year old Sylvia drops her candle. At least she didn't cut herself, but I can't say the same for my wife. She slashed her fingers picking up the glass. (freaking women...) I noticed that there is less people out for this parade than we seen last year. I assume this is due to the weather, cold as a witches blank. I find myself thinking back to a conversation I had with D's mom earlier in the day. She asked me if I felt ok taking my kids out when it was so cold. I thought to myslef "people have been doing this for generations." I can remember my mom and dad taking me to see this very parade when I was a kid. What would happen if all parents were as cautious she? Would there even be a parade for the kids to watch?

The idea for this parade, held so close to Thankgiving, is it's the day that Santa comes to his little
house down in the park. From the day after Thankgiving, until
Christmas eve, he can be found down there, listening to every childs
wish list for Christmas Day. If santa would not be delivered to his little
house, what would the kids think? Even the reindeer are down there,
or at least some of them. I'm sure the reindeer found at the park are
ones in training, while the most popular eight are still up at the north
pole, getting ready for the big night. I still believe in Santa, do you?

Finally, we made it to the park. We stop and watch as the people in the float in front disembark. This kids were not suposed to get off yet, but I guess our parents walking along with us didn't get the memo. Little did I know, all the kids were sitting on the back, except for my daughter. Way to hang in there Angel! Santa is now in his place.

Side note: As I go through the images from our trip, I realize that everyones child had a hat or cap, except my two. Now I feel like a real "great parent". OOPS. Sorry kids! :-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home