Monday, November 21, 2005

Nice people still do exist

I pulled into the parking lot of a local convenient store the other day. I got out of the truck and started walking towards the door. Two men walked along the front of the building and had gotten to the door before I did. The first man (guy-1) was probably early fifties, a bit 'bellow average' looking if you will. The second man (guy-2) was probably early thirties, dressed in full camo (hunting, not military), clean looking, young business type. I assume he was just back from a full day of hunting, probably for some type of waterfowl considering the type of camo he was wearing.

We all basically got to the door at the same time. At this time, I was assuming guy-1 and guy-2 were together. I was soon to learn they were not. All three of us walk up to the counter and file into a line in the order we entered the building. Guy-1 asked for a pack of cigarettes, or some other item behind the counter. I am not totally sure what it was as I was kind of day dreaming at the time. Guy-1 pays for his item(s) and is busy placing his change back into his wallet. Guy-2 then gets his chance at the counter, after waiting patiently for guy-1 to finish. Guy-2 looks at the lady behind the counter. "Do you sell gas cans here", he asked. The lady behind the counter said "no, I'm sorry, but we don't". He simply said "ok, thanks" and began to walk in the direction of the door.

I was just about to ask him if he needed help when guy-1 said to him "are you out of gas". He stated to guy-1 that he ran out of gas on the other side of the Ford Showroom, about a block up. Guy-1 said to guy-2 "come with me, I have a gas can in the car." Both walked out together, and went out of sight.

This story seems a bit lame, but to me it speaks volumes about the average person today. How many other people out there would have even stopped the guy to ask if he needed help. If no one had spoken up, he would have walked town to the next store, or maybe back to his truck, or maybe called someone on his cell phone asking for help. I find myself so busy on some days that I don't even pay attention to what is around me. I know that's not the real me. Sometimes we are all so busy with politics, work, family, friends, home, whatever that we fail to see someone right in front of us that needs a little help.

Let's make a commitment to take the slower road tomorrow. National 'slow the freak down a little' day!!!! What do you say?

4 Comments:

Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

how can i kiss up and get a link?

11/22/2005 7:01 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

There you go, Sir.

11/22/2005 5:48 PM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

I had the opportunity to do something nice for someone the other day. I was at the beer distributors and was crossing the parking lot. There was an elderly man who just finished packing up his car with what he purchased inside. His wife was already in the car. He said "young lady, would you like a cart?" I said "no, but I'll return it for you." He must have said thank you a hundred times and explained that he and his wife aren't in good health. I am always happy to help someone, especially and elderly person. I hope one day it will come full circle.

11/22/2005 6:17 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Carn.,

Ask me about a little kid named Jedell sometime. Coaching baseball turns into much more than teaching sports...

11/22/2005 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home