Saturday, November 19, 2005

Daddy, can we please......

This afternoon was spent at home for a change. Just my son and I, for most of it. I had a very long week, and was resting on the couch watching TV (or at least trying). Boo (nickname is a very long story) had other ideas. First it was "Daddy, can I play Nascar on the computer?" I said "sure buddy, just a second", thinking this would be my prime opportunity to catch a quick snooze. He knows how to restart the game, change cars and the like, so he needs little help. Well, that lasted about 15 minutes. I was kind of out of it, but listening to the other room. You know, that parent kind of can nap.

Next it was "daddy, please don't turn off Nascar, I have to poopy". (it's my blog, I can say poopy, can't I?) I said "I won't touch it, just go if you have to go." Sometimes he walks the entire house, looking to inform me of his intentions in the bathroom. Kids!!!

Well, the break from the game made him loose interest. "Daddy, can we take the D-O-G for a W-A-L-K?" "In about 15 minutes", I said. Executive Decision was on and it was the best part. After about 5 minutes of moaning and whining, I gave in. I was in no mood to send him to his room for almost throwing a fit, he gets punished enough now days for that. His major attitude and 'fireball-like' temper better be a phase. He gets both of them from his mother.

So on we go for a walk with the dog. "Daddy, can I walk River?" "Not until we get into some alleys", I said. The dogs tends to be a little wild for the first part of his walks, mostly because he is not walked enough. But, overall he's pretty good. Our walk was about 15 blocks long and back. On the way back is when he landed me the big whammy. "Daddy, can I ride my 4-wheeler in the back yard when we get back?" I first said no, because the garage is still filled with my wife's crap from her Garage Sale 2 weeks ago. She has been threatening to move the item and boxes back down the the basement where they belong, but hasn't 'had time' as of yet. I told him "Dude, your 4-wheeler is completely buried with mommy's stuff and tables, we can't get it out". "Well, we can move the stuff down to the basement", he said. Now, considering he offered to help, there was no way I was going to pass this up. I can't get him to do anything remotely close to work any other time, unless it involves digging a hole or getting dirty.

So while his mother is off shopping, we move the stuff together. Not all of it got moved, probably about 3/4 got down there. It was enough to break down those tables and get out the 4-wheeler. Off we go, into the back yard to ride before the sun sets. I warned him not to throw any fits when I say it's time to stop, and he promised not to.
I must admit, for only being 6 years old, he is a very good rider. Of course, we have a lot of training and practice under our belt from good old dad. He can catch a little air on that one 'jump'. I tried to let me daughter ride this thing a few times, with near disastrous results. She damn near rolled it a few times. Of course this was after she ran into the close line post, the swing and a few other objects.

So now we are inside and today's daylight is gone. He is watching All Dogs Go To heaven- Part 2, for the 1000th time, and I am blogging. I'm kind of glad he got me up on my feet. It sure is nice to take a break and rest, but you can't beat having some fun either. Soon snow will be one the ground, too cold for these kids of activities. Oh, wait.... Snowball battle anyone????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home