Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Ok, this is odd

Tonight, for the first time in years, I was not home see my son off to bed. This has happened before, but only maybe 3 or 4 times in his little 6 years of life. Being involved in kids sports and other areas, I see many "disconnected parents", as I choose to call them. These are parents that CHOOSE not to be involved. A soldier away from home is not the same. A father spending his week on business is not "disconnected". A mother that needs to work 2nd shift and misses out, as my wife did for the first 5 years of my sons life, does not qualify. I am talking about parents that are in the home, living with his or her family, yet does little if nothing to impact a son or daughter's life for the better.

My reason for tonight's absence was work. I have decided to take on the responsibility of going back into work, after my wife gets home. Tonight was the first trial run. I got 2 calls on my cell phone from my son. "Daddy, when are you coming home"..... "Mommy and I are having fun, bye"..... By the time of my reentry into my home, he was fast asleep. I didn't see him at all today since he chose to go out to eat with Granny after school.

I plan to do this several days a week. I have made a deal with my employer (oh our 2nd shift is so misguided) and will get paid well for my actions, or at least before taxes. Only time will tell on that subject. I have math skills, but the whole tax thing is well beyond where I want to calculate. I figure if I don't know, than I will be less likely to blow up a government building later in life. Denial is a river in Africa....

I guess my point is this, of there is one at all. To all parents out there that cannot be with their kids tonight but have them in your thoughts, thank you! To the ones that are reading this while your kids are in a room by themselves, please close this window and go do something fun with them, they will love you for it.

God Speed to you Dean!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorman said...

Thanks so much for all you do for my kids, too. It truly is appreciated.

11/16/2005 3:27 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

I know you would do the same.

11/16/2005 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home