Friday, December 02, 2005

It's Friday.....

Sometimes I find myself scanning other blogs, ones that I haven't read yet. I have come to a conclusion: Either I can not write a decent blog to save my life, or other people take allot more time to review their posts submitting them. It's probably the first one. Now that I have come to this conclusion, I just start taking my time and writing professionally. (I can do it at work when I have to bitch at a vendor....) I guess I'll start with this post.

This week at a glance…


Monday

Chuck, Jared and I went out for the first day of rifle season. We met for breakfast at 4:00 AM, or at least I was there by then. I never expect Chuck to be on time. He is a self-employed contractor so his clock is adjustable. We had all intentions of being in the field by 5:00 AM. This may have happened if Chuck had not dropped his cell phone “somewhere between the trucks and here”.

We have all adopted this ‘unwritten safety rule’. When walking in the field(s) or through the woods in the dark, you keep your flashlight on, pointed down and in front of you. Even if your eyes are adjusted to any moonlight, this for others to see YOU. Every so often, you stop and shine the flashlight slowly across the horizon. When you do this, all other people within view are to shine their flashlights in the direction of the walker’s light. This process indicates to the walker the location of others, how many other people are on the hill and weather they are in a tree stand or on the ground. By the time we made it into the field my spot had been compromised by at least 3 other people within a few hundred yards of my position. That’s too close for comfort, and they were here first. I had to find another spot. Unfortunately it has turned out that the only spot I could find with no one in view was the worst spot on the hill.

Tuesday

We called off the hunt for the day due to inclement weather. I will hunt in the snow, rain, sleet and cold, but not high winds. This is for a number or reasons. So I planned a day of work. When I went to bed the night before, my foot had been hurting from the miles walk up and down the hills and woods. It was no big deal as I was quite used to it. This morning when I got out of bed, I all but fell over the dog trying to get up out of bed. A few steps and stretches later, all is much better and I’m off to work.

All is below average but doing ok, until the lunch football game. Running for a touchdown, I landed on the foot ‘all wrong’. I felt something rip, for lack of a better word. The rest of the workday I was hobbling around the shop in pain. Sick of the pain and all, I called the doctors office and explained my situation to the duty nurse. To make a long story short, by 8:00 PM I was on my way home after a cortisone shot in the heel. Tore tendons are no fun. :-(

Wednesday

Another hunting trip was planned for today. My very swelled foot and too much beer the night before kept me at home. So after I finally made it to my feet about 8:00 AM, it turned into another ‘Me Day’. I even went to Pizza hut and all!

I wanted to write about Thursday and Friday, but Carnealian is to blame! My wife had a little bit to do with it too. (That sounds bad……)

6 Comments:

Blogger Carnealian said...

Sorry we didn't invite you but...things got carried away! Geesh, guys can't do two things at once!

12/02/2005 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mattandriver,
My 82 year old dad was very excited last October when I called him. I informed him I had just bagged a 12 pointer. I can still hear the pride in his voice "Wow, Mary, that's great. What caliber did you use?" I paused for a moment,"An 850." Dad stated, "850? I don't recall anybody making an 850." I paused again, " An 850 wagon with a scope of over $3000.00 in damages." We both laughed.

12/02/2005 11:22 PM  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

You're writing is fine. It's your blog, do what you want with the time you have (how little it may be). Keep up the good work!

12/03/2005 9:51 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

It's all good.

12/03/2005 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again, its hilarious to me that you link to pizza hut.
crys

12/04/2005 12:52 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Oh come on, Cyrs. Seriously, you don't get the joke on this?

12/04/2005 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home