Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The 2006 rifle season has come to an end. This year proved to be safer in regards to accidents then years past, good news to say the least. I overheard a conversation the other day about safety with guns and hunting in general. According to this person, and others as well, the safest thing to do is outlaw guns and hunting all together. Admittedly, on a basic level, I suppose that is true. The trouble is, most hunting accidents, maybe as high as 98% of them could have been avoided just by paying attention. The reason why people get hurt or killed is because they are stupid. In fact, most hunting accidents that involved a high-powered rifle or shotgun are self-inflicted. I have been shooting guns since I was 10 and hunting since I was 12. I don’t think much about gun safety; it comes second nature to me. My father practically beat it into me when he got me my first .22 caliper rifle. Although, I am guilty of not holding the rifle quite tight enough, there by letting the scope bite me in the head (I figured I better say that before someone else does).

Obviously not everyone is as careful. That leads me to my latest and greatest stupid person story. The following was copied out of the Daily Item yesterday. I edited the names only.


WASHINGTONVILLE — A Muncy man was still in the hospital Monday after shooting himself in the foot with a 12-gauge shotgun on Saturday.
According to Tim Conway, information education supervisor for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Mr. Stupid, 34, told officers he took the safety off his shotgun when he heard movement in the woods near the Montour Preserve at 2:43 p.m. He was in a seated position with his legs stretched out when he accidently discharged his gun, firing a 1 ounce metal ball through the top of his left foot.
Mr. Conway said Mr. Stupid placed the shotgun on his right leg with the muzzle pointing toward his left foot. Mr. Stupid told officers his glove finger got into the trigger guard, causing it to fire.
"You never take that safety off unless you're ready to shoot," Mr. Conway said. "That was a mistake that was made."
Mr. Conway said another mistake Mr. Stupid made was pointing the shotgun at his foot.
"One of the basic rules of gun safety is that you keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Don't point it at your foot, leg, or somebody else — the gun could go off," he said. "Unfortunately, he's probably going to remember that for the rest of his life. He at least lost a few toes, but I'm just guessing."
Mr. Stupid, 34, was listed in fair condition Monday at Geisinger Medical Center.
Mr. Conway said Mr. Stupid's was the first hunting accident of the year in the 13-county Northeast region.
"This has been a very safe year. There are a lot of hunters out there and anything can happen. We have been very fortunate this year," he said, adding the Northeast region generally sees between two and four hunting accidents each year.



My guess is this guy has never actually shot a deer, possibly not his gun either, assuming it was even his. This guy all but deserved to loose a few toes. Dumbass!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home