Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I tried...

This evening Dorman and I took the kids for a walk up to the fields where I hunt, or at least the kids minus one. Staying at home playing video games with a friend proved to be more important for one. I expected to take a nice walk up in an area that is somewhat remote, teaching the kids about some wildlife. This is not what our trip turned out to be about, to say the least.

First, I usually drive up an old access road to the first field. I didn’t want to do this as it is a very overgrown road and it would have scratched the hell out of Dorman’s new chariot. Instead I chose to park up at my buddy’s property, next to his workshop. He does not live on the property, but rents out a small trailer in the front and operates a small wood mill in the back. Arriving at the property, we had to drive around a few poorly parked cars to get out back. Behind the trailer, we found Chuck’s tenant walking his dog, if you what to call it one, staring us down with the look of death as if saying, “who are you and why the hell are you driving in my yard?” As soon as I parked the truck beside Chuck’s workshop, I called him. In kinder works, he said, “whatever, forget him”.

I rarely gut up to the fields this early in the season so I was somewhat surprised at what we found. First of all, both 100 Plus acre fields were full with soybeans. I tried to find the best path through the lower field, trying to cause as little damage to the crop as possible. I know the owner of this land, but am unsure of who is farming the crop this year as he subs his land out to local farmers. Once we found our path up to the next field, we found the path a bit overgrown and the kids were (ok, my kid was) complaining about the briers scratching up some legs. Once we go up top, we found another field, a larger one, filled with soybean. It turned out that the only wildlife that could be found was a few groundhogs. If I had taken a rifle, the farmer of this field would have been one or two vermin less. It seems as though nothing I try as of late turns out good.

So our short trip proved a bit on the useless side. My two were at each other on the way down, proving that when you add just a minute amount of boredom, they are at each other like cats and dogs.

I have to do a bit of research to find a name of a type of apple that the dear love to eat. Kudos to Dorman’s kid on finding another one of the trees. I may have to change my spot this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home