Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Why do bad things happen to great people?

Some very dear close friends of mine and former neighbors lost everything within there home of 40 years last night when it caught fire. When I arrived at the farm I found Dave, a man of 55 or so years, sitting across the dirt road from what once was his home. Although, and thankfully everyone escaped safely, all this man had was a cup of coins and a roll of partially burnt $2.00 bills that he had saved in his dresser. The home was totally gone.

Dave and Judy had 4 children, all whom have grandchildren who are formerly or presently involved within our league. Beth’s daughter Madison, whom I have coached for 2 years, was sleeping there along with her brother and sister. Beth was due to be induced into labor this morning with her 4th child. Obviously, this did not happen and although all the stress Beth has gone through, she still has not delivered.

It’s hard for me to look at a structure that I’ve been inside so many times, not be there anymore. I can’t even begin to fathom the feelings that they all have. Although Scott, a fellow coach and fellow high school graduate is taking it well, along with the rest of the family, it just has to be hard. But, that’s what this family is known for, taking life as it is, no matter what. I idolize these people and have learned so much from them.

Beth’s youngest boy said to me “Madison lost her baseball uniform. Look what happened to Pappy’s house.” He is 3 years old as was rushed out last night, along with the rest of the family.

I am presently working on getting a new uniform for Madison. Although she was not there when I was, her little brother told me that she was very upset that she lost it.

I cried a little today.

1 Comments:

Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

as busy as i am, my man matt is a hero of mine. matt, i have lost everything in a fire and a divorce. i lost everything but lives. it is hard to lose stuff. i lost precious childhood artifacts you cannot replace. but if you have lives, you can always start over. i did twice. and found i was given a blessing of learning what really matters, and i found out who my friends were. priceless knowledge your friends will now learn.

love
dave

7/12/2006 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home