Thursday, August 18, 2005

A little less crude please

Well, as you can see I gave my blog a fresh paint job. I am not sure if I like it yet, but I think it’s growing on me a little.

I had seen a story on the news about the United States oil refineries getting Billion Dollar updates. I cannot seem to find the story in the web to link to it, but I can give you the short version. In laymen’s terms, our refineries are only able to work with the more expensive types of oil. Pre-refined, if you will. If you watch the news religiously, as I do not, you may have heard of this. I can attest to the truth of this and add some to it.

The company I work for produces consoles that fall under most, and sometimes all, of today’s standards including API (for you geeks out there, it's American Petroleum Institute, not application program interface), ASTM and ASME. I get to meet and chat with many API Certified inspectors. I have been hearing stories about all this work being done to update our systems in the U.S. in order to make our own “production” of fuel more economical. Billions of dollars is exactly what I have heard, and in more than just one company.

Basically, this is my understanding of the total situation today. The U.S. cannot just “dig up” oil and turn it into petro. Our refineries have never been equipped for this. This is the reason why we sell almost all the oil we tap to other countries. This has always forced us to buy our oil (again, laymen’s terms) pre-refined. The cost of this oil is obviously more expensive than the crude stuff.

My belief is that the oil companies plan to slowly stop buying our oil, and make our own from scratch, if you will. I am sure (and hope) there will be people our there reading this that have a more refined understanding of this situation. (there cyrs I dropped a pun for you.) If so, please advise.

4 Comments:

Blogger mattandriver said...

Don't go there!

8/18/2005 10:19 PM  
Blogger Dorman said...

I must say, this is he first time i have heard any rational reason for the 'oil sales shuffle'. Makes a lot of sense now. Freakin's capitalists and their 'do it chaper, quicker' attitude instead of building for the future ;)

8/19/2005 11:08 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

I found this article while looking for a new story concerning this blog entry. Here

8/19/2005 7:57 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Cyrs: The green not exactly my favorite color. But, it's a happy color.

8/19/2005 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home