Friday, August 12, 2005

Volunteerism

Volunteerism: Performing an act of kindness, freely giving of your talent, time, and effort for the simple fulfillment of community expectations.

I live in a small city in PA. Sunbury, or as the locals call it Scumbury, is littered with houses smacked together like crackers in a box. I live in an area of the city that is kind of exclusive, if you will. Comparatively, it is like a urban community.

One of the titles I hold is Chairman of the board of Trustees at my church. I do not consider myself a “bible thumper”(as I choose to call it), but rather consider it my community service. My donation to society, if you will.

My next-door neighbor has died and willed her home to the church. Basically, as a parsonage, but maybe not. The legal nightmare to follow was horrendous, but we are past that now and have chosen to sell the property. Please keep in mind that we were not “close” but I have been in the home to help her on several occasions. Not a pretty sight, to say the least. Her daily “help” was not there to clean. And, the dogs and cats found it easier to do their thing inside.

I have been in the home almost daily getting it ready for public sale. I had my best friend (a contractor) pull the carpet and tack strips. But I did not go into the basement recently. I had no need to. Well, after the washer was pulled from the home (a ranch with washer/dryer in kitchen), the cold water valve was leaking slowly. Drip by drip, over several weeks, this made a hell of mess in the basement. I have to go over and empty the dehumidifier after I end this. And my shop-vac did a hell of a job.

I am getting tired so I will end it here. My point, if there is one. Donation of time is important. For kids (other than your own), for your community, for everyone. Please get involved! We live in a society where volunteerism the key role. Even in local government. Take a moment look deeper than the “President of the United States”. He is the leafs on a very large tree. Let work on the roots first. It all starts here!

1 Comments:

Blogger mattandriver said...

I am so tired.

8/12/2005 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home