Thursday, September 01, 2005

Enough already!

New Orleans, if not the country as a whole has suffered a great tragedy. My heart goes out to everyone affected in this time of crisis. And I am also deeply saddened by the unjust actions people are choosing to take. Looting and price gouging at such a time is inexcusable. But, I have a comparison to make about this current situation with oil prices.

The major oil companies in the U.S. have, for several years, made record profits . With this current situation at hand, the prices at the pumps are at a record high. This obviously spells yet more profits, at least in the short term. The major oil companies (mac) have the ability to “step in” and keep the prices lower. I understand that economics and logistics are the cause of this crisis, but look at how they will benefit from the disaster. Is this not a form of price gouging on a major scale? The mac in the U.S. have the ball in their court and choose to sit back and let me America people get raped.

I am not a market analyst. I am not a politician. I am not an economic expert. But I do know that the mac have the power, if they so choose to use it, to make a change in the market. Basically, in layman’s terms, to step up and say “Let the prices at the pumps stay where they are. We need no more!” Not taking action here is no different, imho, than boating down the streets of New Orleans selling bags of ice for $10.00.

Things are going to get worse, if something is not done. Everything in the U.S. is shipped in some way, shape, or form. Everything!!! At work, our vendors have been adding a fuel surcharge for months. Bread is shipped. Milk is shipped. Fuel, is shipped. The domino effect that could ensue is overwhelming to say the least. People are already making a choice between buying heating oil for their homes, or paying bills.

I will admit that the average American has become spoiled. We use a tremendous amount of oil. And we are stretching our current supplies thin . I for one drive about 12 miles to work alone in my truck. I do not carpool. I can’t as I am the only one who works at my company who lives in my area. Us Americans may have to start adjusting our lives make things better. Freedom has its costs. But the mac will sit back and enjoy the newly found profits while the rest of us find ways to cope.

Finally, one last note. I offer my services to one and all as a marksman. My 30.06 and I are waiting for the call to clean the areas effected of looters. Free of charge, of course. I say this as I load up my 12 gauge for this years skeet shoot. I am not an author by any means. But, well, just trust me………

1 Comments:

Blogger Carnealian said...

OK here's a non-spam comment. I have said that maybe the bright side to this tragedy will be a cure for the obesity problem in the US and may also curb some of our excessive behaviors with our gas-guzzling cars, not carpooling, etc. I am seriously considering riding my bike to work. It's only a 5 mile ride. I would benefit tremendously!

9/02/2005 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home