Saturday, August 20, 2005

Labor day...

Labor day is just around the corner. A time for families to go on vacation and celebrate the end of summer. But this labor day is going to be a bid different for me.

I am a hunter and a fisherman. Once avidly, I find little time for these pleasures today. Every year(sort of) the residence of Lamey road, the stone and dirt road where our cabin resides, have the less than famous, less than annual bean soup\pigeon shoot. Clay pigeons, of course. This always was a event that my father-in-law loved. Last year, he was asked to be the starter of the event, a coveted position. This honor was given to him because he was suffering from cancer. In his third year with the disease, he had trouble standing for long periods of time. His balance was off as well. But he managed to somehow 'suck-it-up' and he finished all 3 rounds of the shoot. It takes allot healthy man of his age to shoot a 12 gauge shot gun that many times in 2 hours. Even I am black and blue for a week after.

He has since passed on. My wife and I are having our troubles, but 'STU' was always dear to me. It is ironic that I married his daughter, since him and I have a much longer history. When I was growing up, my father and he worked together, side by side, for over 12 years.

This year will be strange for me. He is missed. In his prime, he was one of the best freakin' fishermen I ever met. In tribute, I have posted a few images from last year's event.


1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

1 Comments:

Blogger mattandriver said...

That's better.

8/20/2005 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home