Tuesday, January 03, 2006

You kids are who you make them








No matter what political party you fallow, or where you stand on politics today, you will love this! Check this out! It's worth it!




The following conversation took place between my sister and I on the phone on Christmas day. But first, let's set the stage. She has 2 kids from a former marriage and her husband has 5 kids from his former marriage, who live full time with their mother. All seven kids are together with her and her husband for the week of Christmas this year. Some names have been changed for obvious reasons.
--------------------
Sis: Does Dinkleberry act appreciative and grateful for the things she gets for Christmas at your house?

Me: Oh sure. She's very thankful, why?

Sis: I am so mad and disappointed. His kids are not even a little bit appreciative of the things they got from us. All I hear is things like I already have this, Is this all I get, and This is stupid.

Me: You have got to be kidding me.

Sis: Oh no. Ashley opened her gift then ran upstairs saying nothing. I guess a $50 Gift Card was not enough, but I didn’t know what to buy her. Not one of them even said a simple thank you. I am so pissed. We have methodically chosen what bills to pay what bills to hold on just to make sure all seven kids had a good Christmas, and they don't even thank anyone.

Me: Scott's ex married into money, correct?

Sis: Oh yea. You already know this. Why do you ask?

Me: Well, they already have everything. They don’t appreciate what you give them because they are spoiled rotten, yet neglected at the same time. Everything they know is material. They don't get the whole It's the thought that counts theory.

Sis: I am trying so hard not to be mad at him for this.

Me: Oh please do not get mad at him. It’s not his fault at all. He's just his ex’s poster boy. Maybe even fall guy.

Sis: My 2 appreciated everything they got. Des thanked us about 100 times for her new stereo for her room.

Me: I know this is hard. I can't begin to tell you what to do, other than to sit down with them all and explain the situation.

Sis: Oh, I tried. It doesn't work. They just don't respect what we have done, for what Santa has brought them here for that matter. They don't respect anything. Everything they touch gets broken. I feel so bad for my girls. It's just not fair to them.

Me: Again, just sit everyone down and lay out the law. You can't let them take advantage of you. Obviously these kids have to discipline or structure in their lives. You may have to be the nasty nanny here and put some rules down. Lay it out in plain view. But just don't yell at them or break apart during your speech. This will make them very aware of your weakness.

Sis: I will try, but I don't think it will make any difference. They even made fun of what mom got them. For god sakes, mom spent money on the kids and they made fun of her and made her feel like shit.

Me: Mom has issues upon issues. The word hello offends her on some days.

Sis: Yea I know. I just can't wait until things in this house return to normal.

Me: Normal is relative. I am dealing with a lot of the same issues here, but yet totally different. I know it’s hard. Hang in their sis. All things happen for a reason. Someday Ashley may run to you for some sort of reality check.

7 Comments:

Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

oh boy, smelss like future divorce, amongst many other problems.

1/04/2006 4:56 AM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

I would have promptly collected all the ingrates gifts and told them I was going to donate them to a family in need and they would have gotten nothing. I cannot stand rotten kids and people that cannot say a simple thank you. There's a few members of my family that have problems saying thank you. Nothing gripes my ass more!

1/04/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

That’s the same response I get from most people. Kids are brats, yes. But I try to look past the kids, into the parents that made them who they are. Kids aren’t by nature born rotten. In this case, they have become who they are because of the ‘rich and powerful’ mom. The blame goes past the kids and to the parents.

1/04/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Good idea, as long as we can bring the rich mother too.

1/04/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

You know Princess Diana was a perfect example of a mother whos children had everything and she made darned sure her kids got to shelters and saw what the real world could be like. I've often wanted to spend a holiday serving food to shelter residents. Maybe you guys could do that as a family next year...or even at Easter?

1/04/2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Princess Diana was a great inspiration for us all!

1/04/2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

The blame goes past the kids and to the parents.

just liked it.

1/05/2006 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home