Saturday, December 31, 2005

Opening the shell

Christmas 2005 has now come and gone. Although I was physically here for it all, I still kind of missed it. As 2006 is upon us, we must press on. While driving the other day, I saw a marquee with a saying on it that I cannot stop thinking about. It said, “Enjoy life, you have no idea how late it is”. To me, this message was powerful. In only a few short words, this message said so much! It speaks volumes about today’s world and our own situations in it all. To me it means “get over your little pathetic unhappiness and find your bigger purpose in life. There’s work to be done!”

On this New Years Eve I have made a resolution to myself. As I sit here typing, drinking Cherry Vodka and Coke (ok, Pepsi), I make this promise to myself. I will work on making life happier here without changing anything for the kids except what would be for the better. I must do this. Before I know it the 2006 baseball season will be here. Once again there will be another group of kids who will come to us looking to baseball, but will leave getting not only knowledge of the sport, but life and happiness as well. I am not great at many things, but I have a gift with kids. I can connect with them in a way only a few others can. This is not from my own observation, but from my peers. I am without the capacity to believe in myself that highly.

As I sit here jamming to Stone Temple Pilots; Purple, many memories are flowing through me. Fond memories, and not so nice ones as well, are filling my mind. In 3 days I will be 36 years old. Due to my workplace updating our entire electrical system for some major upcoming projects, I will have off that day. My wife has planed a birthday party for me. Pizza, Cake, kids and a few others will be a local Pizza shop. The owner is a friend of mine so I have to be nice. An adult birthday party is being planed for me the following weekend where I don’t have to be so nice. You better be there Carn! And you too Dorman, get your ass home here!

Damn the Cherry Vodka is going down smooth. And look, My son's hermit crab has a new home!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carnealian said...

A party without moi??? Of course I'm there! I'd like to move in with the hermit crab. Looks nice there. And that sign you saw...very interesting. I'd have to agree. I need to get it together. See you in a few...um, need directions!

1/01/2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

I'll email them to ya

1/01/2006 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home