Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Why my crew respects me.

Why my crew respects me

When I first took on a supervisory position, I was told that I could not, and I quote “take part in the games”. I have always been known to have a little fun. Being a supervisor of a very rough, tough and young group of people can be trying at times. The last thing I want is to be looked at by them as some hard ass; constantly making them toe the line. Yet, I don’t want to be a pushover either. Trying to find a happy medium is a bit challenging, but it can be done.

We just shipped another HUGE project, leaving the shop all but empty. Although the work on the books seems like it has so end, turnover times like this can quickly send a crew into trouble. After all, when you ask them to work their ass off for weeks at a time, then they watch a job become, what we call ‘out-a-here’, everyone thinks it’s Miller Time. Little to they realize, as they should, that a plethora of work is awaiting, already behind schedule.

So, keeping this in mind, I sometimes try to find ways to keep in step with them, making sure I have not become this always bearer of bad news. How? Well, I sit back and think of the shit that used to get me into trouble when I was a kid; the stuff that our parents would have shit a brick of they knew we were doing. Then, send a subtle hint to someone, waiting for the evolution of an idea. Long behold, the latest and not so greatest fly killer…






Sometimes I can’t believe I let shit like this go on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home