Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Don't be a Dick

Being a parent is not so much a choice, but rather a burden. It changes who you are forever. Sometimes I look back to when I was in high school. I can recall seeing girls in school who were pregnant. I was sort of close to a girl (her name is long gone from my cache) who was pregnant at 16. I sometimes wonder what has happened to her, and her child. I can only hope for the best but yet know better to assume. I ask this. How can a 16-year-old girl, or boy for that matter, solely parent a child? Come on, she’s a child herself. Attempting this is like trying to bake a cake in an oven that is not preheated. Sure, it may turn out if you’re lucky and the cards fall just the right way, but the stack is surely agents you.

Being a baseball coach, I see many types of parents in many situations. I do not coach to teach the came as much as I coach to connect to the kids. I try to give every kid the same amount of energy. Yet I know that I somehow become closer to the kids who have parents who suck. One such pathetic child comes to mind from last season. I wanted to adopt him. He is now lost as his parents are both in jail. I can only hope that he landed in a good foster home. The system keeps the location of these kids kind of hush-hush.

This post kind of got out of hand a little bit as I got off track on my little rant. It just feels really good to walk through an isle in a grocery store and have a kid run full speed away from his or her parents to you calling out “COACH! COACH! GUESS WHAT I DID TODAY.” Nothing is this world would ever feel better than that.

Having said this all, what the fuck is wrong with people? I’m sorry but this guy needs to die! I only wish it would be by my hand.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carnealian said...

The only way you'll be able to make a difference is to keep doing what you are doing as an outside force. People will be dicks, it will never change. You just have to continue to not be one.

1/26/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Dorman said...

you are the un-dick.

1/27/2006 7:38 AM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

what is staggering is how many are out there.

1/27/2006 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home