Saturday, April 15, 2006

It's about the kids!!!

I’ve been so busy with administrative duties that I almost forgot about my favorite part of baseball, coaching the kids. The heck with the parents, bring on the kids baby, they know how to have fun!

We are the Pirates this year. Our team has 13 kids and over half of them have never played the game before, other than playing around in the back yard with dad. So far we’ve had three practices and I still don’t have all their names committed to memory, although I am really bad with names, really, really bad. I now have nametags and numbers for the kids for Monday’s practice. This has been done before and the kids love the idea of having numbers, even if it’s only 1 through 13.

Although a few kids need a lot of work, some are really good players. One seven-year-old girl, who has, according to her father, never played before, catches quite well. She is obviously adopted and her father seems to be an admirable parent. One seven-year-old boy is about ready for the major league. It a good thing we play with grade 5 RIF (reduced injury factor) balls he hits a line drive that could kill a man, let alone a kid.

A friend’s oldest girl, and another’s youngest boy can be found on the team this year. I can pick on both of them as much as I want. After all, I am the coach. I made Matt (not my son) run laps for missing the first two practices, even though stocking trout IS A REALLY GOOD EXCUSE! Of course Boo Bear can be found on the team as well. He’s probably our second best hitter, but I’ve been working on his catching skills on nearly a daily basis because, well, he just sucks (He’s my kid, I can say that!).

Sunbury Quadra League will never be the same as I am now on the board of directors. This makes things a bit strange at home, considering my wife is the Vise President. I’m kind of glad that I was nominated and voted in because now I have a say in what goes on within the league on an official platform. Other than that, I couldn’t care less about the board or any administrative details I am asked to perform. My place is on that field with the kids.

Last year I was able to coach baseball and do everything else, but last year I was just a coach and an involved parent. This year I have become much more integrated into the league, taking up much more of my precious time. I was left with two choices, add another 12 or so hours to the day, or give something up. Personally, I used this opportunity to separate myself from a situation that has been long and hard. Last month I submitted my official resignation as Chairman of the Board Of Trustees at one certain Methodist Church. After many requests prior to my stepping down, I remain a member of the board. I would have publicly said a negative word about the church or it’s members as Chairman. Since I am no longer in the position, I consider myself free to speak my mind. I could sit down and tell the world all the stories I have about one certain pastor, or a few members, or a certain former fellow Administrative Board member, but I have found another’s words to speak for me. So here goes, the words of Maynard James Keenan.





To the people of St. $$$$’s United Methodist Church…


Suck and
Suck!

Suckin' up all you can, suckin' up all you can suck and suck
Workin' up under my patience like a little tick
Fat little parasite

Suck!

Me Dry

My blood is bruised and borrowed
You thievin' bastards, you have
Turned my blood cold and bitter
Beat my compassion black and
Blue!

Hope this is what you wanted
Hope this is what you had in mind
'Cause this is what you're gettin'

I hope you're chokin'
I hope you choke on this
I hope you're chokin'
I hope you choke on this

Taken all I can, taken all I can, we can take
Taken all you can, taken all you can, we can take
Got nothin' left to give to you

Blood suckin' parasitic little
(Tick!) Blood suckin' parasitic little
Blood suckin' parasitic little
Tick! Take what you want and then
Go!

Hope this is what you wanted
Hope this is what you had in mind
'Cause this is what you're gettin'

Ahh!
Suck!
Me dry!
Suck!
Suck me dry!
Suck!
Me dry!
Suck!
Suck me dry

Is this what you wanted?!
Is this what you had in mind?!
Is this what you wanted?!
'Cause this is what you're gettin'

I hope!
I hope!
I hope!
You choke!


If you want to dive into what the words mean for real, here’s a hint: Don’t be so literal.

Happy Easter everyone.






5 Comments:

Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

damn, they sound like real nice people, from your perspective.

4/16/2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

I think you should try to really let your feelings out next time. It's not good to keep all that bottled up.

4/16/2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

You know me, I speak my mind..

4/16/2006 9:25 PM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

did you add pictures? or is it my meds?

4/21/2006 6:44 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Rev;

Both

4/21/2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home