Monday, June 05, 2006

“Experience in motion” my ass!!!

Running a bit late again, I arrive at work about 6:15 am. Expecting a few more technicians, engineers and salesmen from a certain international company whose motto should be a little less experienced and a little slower, I prepare for their arrival. When 7:30 arrives, only a lonely salesman is to be found. It turns out that yet another miscommunication between divisions has pushed back the arrival of the cavalry until almost 11:00 am.

On Sunday of this week, I spend over an hour at one field getting things ready for today’s games. After the field was almost perfect, the skies opened up yet again, filling the fields with puddles of water and mud and making all my work for nothing. Keeping this in mind as I work this morning, I planed to leave work at about 2:00 pm to prepare the three fields that so desperately need help. A coach in another division that is out of work at the time drags all of the fields after he drops his kids off at school. I had no idea if he was available for today or not. “Yea, that worked, NOT…although I did get out of there shortly after 3:00 pm.

I got to the fields about 3:30. The place looked like New Orleans in December. After using the squeegee to the mud puddles, still in inch deep in spots, off of the field. I shoveled and dumped about 500 pounds of stadium dirt on 2 fields and about 100 pounds on the tee-ball field. By then, Todd, the other coach before mentioned, showed up. For those of you who know the area, he walks over from him home in Memorial Acres. He asks me about using the tractor to drag his field. I told him to take it while I go pick my kid up and throw something at him for dinner and that I would be back down there in about 45 minutes.

When I got back, Todd had just got done dragging his field. I then took the tractor and proceeded to work on my mine. While working on the final field, a kid walked over from the major’s field, asking if I could take the tractor over to his field when I was done.

Thinking I was simply delivering the tractor to them. I had forgotten about the new rule stating that only the division commissioners can run the tractor. I stopped the thing and yelled to the coach who had sent his kid over for the monster. He yelled back “I’m not allowed to run it, can you do it?” First of all, he was right, and second, this particular coach is a hell of a nice guy, so I drug the field for him, leaving me with little time to spare.

Our game went off without a hitch, despite the minor confrontation I had with the assistant coach on the opposing team, a City Council member. Either I pissed him off or gained his respect, I’m not sure. Truth is, it doesn’t matter to me.

After the game was over, I found a long ass line at the concession stand, so I made my way in there to help, finding the president of the league making burgers and fries. We tagged teamed the situation for until the line was diminished.

Oh, did I forget to mention the emergency board meeting we held.

Next year will be different.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dorman said...

On the backs of the weary.....

I just can't imagine how you do it so consitently.

6/05/2006 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home