Friday, May 12, 2006

Reflection…maybe...I forget...

This evening, as I worked at the concession stand burning hot dogs, hamburgers and porogies, it hit me. Our league has over 400 kids this year. Grade school math and a little assumption makes for about 800 parents. I made a statement during the last board meeting stating the obvious. Our entire league is built on parents. Our league president is a Grandparent to a child within the league. The VP, doubling as my wife at times, is a parent. All of the executive board members are parents. The list leads on and on, from the board of directors, to the team moms, all parents.

I am also a parent. My son is in the league. I want to help in every way I can, for the kids. Now, let’s calculate more of those basic math skills. There are only 19 administrative positions within our league. I hold 3 of them. Why is this?

Ok, let’s tally it all up… I currently have the following titles within the league: Tee-Ball Commissioner, Co-Coach Pitch Commissioner, General Board Member, Coach, Safety Officer and now, until the next board meeting, Commissioner of the League. I am holding 6 titles, yet we have 800 parents.

And to think, many years ago, all I wanted was to watch my son play a sport. My cell phone bill for this month was almost $200.00. What the fuck are all these other parents doing? I’ll tell you, dropping their kids off to a game or practice and leaving. Some parents can’t even make it back in time for end of the game, leaving the coaches and others to baby-sit them until they return. I think I put a stop on at least one set of parents after I went off on them, big time!

My personal life, if not my life in general, has been put on hold this year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carnealian said...

Thanks for taking care of all the mathy stuff for me. You know I'd be here with a calculator, up till all hours working on those word problems!!

5/14/2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

How are you down there carn?

5/14/2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

I'm doing well. You will be coming to visit when Dorman gets home won't you??? Tell T to get her party skirt on!

5/14/2006 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home