Monday, September 19, 2005

Vacation Part 1

Typical for me, I will break free from the norm and start with our last day. We stopped at Norfolk VA. To visit the USS Wisconsin. As posted before, I am EX-Navy and a Desert Storm Vet. My tour summed up briefly was just over 9 months in the Persian Gulf, times 2 Long story! During the "Gulf War", two Battle Ships were recommissioned (for the third time), The
USS Missouri and the USS Wisconsin. Both of these Iowa Class Ships would cost an estimated $1Million per day to operate.

         



I was bounced around during my first tour and seen many countries in the Middle East. The ship I was formally attached to was the USS Ford FFG-54. We were attached to the Missouri battle group. At one point, both of these Battle Ships were together getting stores replenished by another ship I was TAD (temporary active duty) to, the USS Niagara Falls. The image I have scanned of the Missouri is an actaul photo of the very last time she ever shot her guns. I have scanned some old pictures I had taken with my crapy old 35MM camera back in "the day".



These historical ships are now decommission forever and have become part of our history. Being on this ship and talking to some of the guides really brought memmories back.Both good and bad. From the other branches of the military it seems as though us sailors had it good. I some respects we did. Hot meals, a rack to sleep on, long stays at ports for liberty. I have many so stories that intrigue some and bore others. But life on board a ship is not as you may think. I can remember being awake for 3+ days at a time. Working down in the machinery rooms without sunlight or “real” air for hours if not days.

I was qualified up to damage control repair 5 investigator. When the ship goes to General Quarters, I was the guy to locate, access, report and repair if need be any major issue with the ship. I can remember, on many occasions, just falling asleep after a 20 hour day and hearing the screeching sound on the 1MC. (1MC is the term for the shipboard intercom on US Navy vessels)
Having your life shared with others without any sort of privacy at all is not something I wish on others. ALL of your stuff is confined to your under rack (bed) locker, a stand up locker and whatever space you can bribe from others. Luckily, I was also qualified as the master Oil King.

Oil King Description: The "Oil King" was the dude in charge of the some 200,000 gallons of black oil (NSFO) we carried in about twenty different tanks, including four "ready service" tanks (two forward and two aft) and three amidships tanks that we rarely tapped. Also in charge of all potable water. The OIL KING had watch stander's liberty both underway and in port and an open gangway under most circumstances, mostly due to the long hours and high responsibility needed for this watch station. According to some "BUPERS" (Bureau of Personnel) manning document, on a Frig it was supposed to be an E-7 position during wartime, E-6 during peacetime. I had my own little shack with laboratory equipment and had to test feed water quality and fuel oil quality on a regular basis (several times a day on feed water). We had two fuel oil transfer pumps which I or my assistant used every few hours to move oil around from storage tanks to the service tanks to keep the ship on an even keel.


Ok, on with the pictures................

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

More to come I hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home