Sunday, September 16, 2007

Damn things!

Yesterday we took my son to what was intended to be a hot air balloon show. Unfortunately the weather kept the balloons from flying, but many aircraft were there. I took many pictures and video with my new camera, and was very much looking forward to looking at them when I got home.

When I got home, I pulled the memory card out of the camera and placed it into my new card reader. I noticed the light starting to blink, but thought nothing of it. When I tried to explore the drive, my computer froze up and I had to reboot. Open rebooting and looking at the drive, the entire memory card was empty. All the images and video from the show was gone.

I’ve spent hours today researching and attempting to recover the files with absolutely no luck. Recovery software only recovered images that had been previously removed from the drive. Everything that was on the memory card at the time was simply gone.

After a day of research and beating myself about the head, my own little CSI has come up with a theory. My card reader has a direct transfer button on it, with software to automatically transfer files to a default directory. I must have pressed this button while I was placing the card into the reader. I’ve attempted to use this button/software before and found it was one of Sandisk’s worst attempts “push button” technologies.

Anyway, I’ve finally accepted the fact that the data is gone and I’m moving on. The software has been removed from my computer.

3 Comments:

Blogger SnotSucker said...

I use a USB cable for my photo transfers for that very reason. I'm always afraid of messing with the card and losing files.
Good luck & pics are looking good!

9/17/2007 10:11 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Thanks

9/17/2007 5:28 PM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

bingo on snotsucker's remark, plus copy them direct from the device and only delete from the device after you confirm they made it over to the hard drive.

those software programs that come with the cameras, god i hate those too, because if you do not toggle off the auto delete after download, you can get zip for pictures if it crashes.

you may also want to get the biggest memory stick possible for your computer. these cameras can really clog up ram and cause allot of crashes.

9/18/2007 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home