Thursday, September 27, 2007

A moment in time.

As some know, I have moved into a different home. I carefully steer away from using the word new because this house has nothing new about it, in fact, it was built in the early 1900’s and has been renovated numerous times. To make a long story short, I have temporally transplanted my family from one home to another for finical reasons. Although our transplanted home has over twice as much living space, it needed, and still needs a lot of work.

This evening, after a period of “non-renovation”, if you will, I began taking on the largest project this home needs. We’re talking about taking walls out that have been there for god knows how long, to make this home not only better for us, but moreover, a better selling point in the hopeful near future.

I was hacking at a wall this evening and came across a bundled piece of paper, stuck within a former hole in a wall. I could tell it was an old piece of newspaper. From the backside of the wall, I carefully pulled away this piece of history that, at the time of its instillation, was just another piece of paper to its user. The paper had been used to help fill a 1” diameter hole, just before putting a coat of mud on the wall. I put it aside for a later inspection, and continued with my work.

Later, this little artifact was my only focus. I carefully unfolded the newspaper, hoping to reveal it’s age. Long behold, it was from a time long ago, a time when life was simpler, or so I am told, considering I was not born yet. The price of gas was $0.31/gallon; the average new home cost $21,500; you could buy a dozen eggs for $0.53; and the population was only 194,302,963. The year was 1965. The month was either January or February, as I can tell. That doesn’t seem so long ago, but yet it is 42 years, or if you live day by day, about 15600 days ago.

I almost want to go back to that time, a time where things were hard, yet simple: or so I’m told.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carnealian said...

That's so cool!!! I didn't know you guys had moved. No one updates me anymore. I'm feeling left out. I think old houses are just fascinating! Enjoy it!!!

9/29/2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger mattandriver said...

I'll text ya.

9/29/2007 9:03 PM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

i was there, and i miss it. yes it was harder, but not that bad.

10/01/2007 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home